Patrick J. Maslyn
Before founding Maslyn Law PLC, Mr. Maslyn was Chair of the nationally-ranked Franchising & Distribution Practice Group for a 1000-lawyer international law firm.
Franchise Law Experience
Mr. Maslyn has extensive experience working with all of the laws and regulations affecting franchises in the United States. He has helped countless start-up franchisors and several Fortune 20 companies structure their franchise systems and manage their franchisee networks. In many cases, Mr. Maslyn has effectively served as his franchisor clients outside general counsel, providing advice and counseling in areas like antitrust, intellectual property, sourcing and advertising issues in addition to drafting Franchise Agreements, Development Agreements, and Franchise Disclosure Documents, filing state franchise registration and exemption applications, and providing periodic counseling on compliance with the complicated patchwork of state franchise relationship laws.
- Represented one of the largest companies in the world in the disposition of the assets of a 900-unit franchise system.
- Lobbied the Virginia legislature to revise the Virginia Retail Franchising Act to provide more opportunities for franchisors to become registered to or be exempt from registering to offer and sell franchises in Virginia.
- Conducted numerous franchise compliance training programs for executives and franchise salespeople.
- Represented franchisors in formal and informal administrative proceedings before various state franchisor administrative agencies and the Federal Trade Commission.
- Preparation of international franchise documents for use in many countries throughout North America, Europe, Asia and the Middle East.
- Negotiation of franchise contracts and supply relationships.
Distribution Law Experience
Mr. Maslyn has worked with nearly every form of distribution model currently used – including, for example, franchising, licensing, dealerships, sales representatives, business opportunities and private label manufacturing. This depth of experience allows Mr. Maslyn to provide his clients effective, prompt and efficient advice on choosing the best business model for them. Also, his experience with a vast array of industries allows him to recognize the nuances of state laws that may create traps for clients operating in particular market niches.
- Structuried and prepared all legal documentation for business opportunities.
- Drafted construction equipment, outdoor power equipment and appliance sales and services agreements.
- Counseled clients regarding dealer and distributor rights under various state laws affecting termination, non-renewal and other matters.
- Provided advice relating to non-competition covenants and dealer/distributor exclusivity.
Mr. Maslyn has represented alcoholic beverage manufacturers, distributors and retailers in connection with a variety of regulatory areas and relationship issues.
- Structured and negotiated worldwide liquor distribution rights.
- Counseled clients on compliance with the Virginia Beer Franchise Act, the Virginia Wine Franchise Act and the Virginia Alcoholic Beverage Control Act.
- Obtained Virginia beer, wine and mixed beverage retail licenses.
- Represented Virginia licensees in connection with alleged ABC violations.
- Juris Doctor, The George Washington University Law School, 1997
- Bachelor of Arts, Miami University, 1992
- Diplomacy & Foreign Affairs
- Virginia State Bar, 1997
- District of Columbia Bar, 1998
Professional Memberships/Leadership Positions
- American Bar Association Forum on Franchising
- Member since 1997
- 2005 International Franchise Association Legal Symposium Task Force
- 2006 International Franchise Association Legal Symposium Task Force
- International Franchise Association Membership Committee
- 2012 to current
- Virginia State Bar, Antitrust, Franchise & Trade Regulation Section
- Member since 2005
- Secretary, 2006-2007
- Vice-Chair, 2007-2008
- Chair, 2008-2009
- Immediate Past Chair, 2009-2010
- Nationally-ranked by Chambers USA for Franchising – 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010
- Named a “Rising Star” for Franchise/Dealership in Virginia Super Lawyers – 2008, 2009 and 2010
- Co-author, Go To the Head of the Line: How To Get Registered, Amended, Renewed or Exempted, American Bar Association 34th Annual Forum on Franchising, October 2011.
- Co-author, Contractual and Business Aspects of Structuring Supplier Agreements, American Bar Association 30th Annual Forum on Franchising, October 2007.
- Author, “Virginia Amends Franchise Registration Law,” Franchising World, May 2007.
- Co-author, “Partnering with Terrorists? Are You Sure?” Franchising World, February 2006.
- Co-author, Franchise Agreement Drafting, International Franchise Association 38th Annual Legal Symposium, May 2005.
- Co-author, “Looking Anew at Accounting Duties: Revisions Raise Prospect of Consolidation by Franchisors of Franchisee Data,” New York Law Journal, April 19, 2004.
- Speaker, Go To the Head of the Line: How To Get Registered, Amended, Renewed or Exempted, American Bar Association 34th Annual Forum on Franchising, October 2011.
- Speaker, Contractual and Business Aspects of Structuring Supplier Agreements, American Bar Association 30th Annual Forum on Franchising, October 2007.
- Moderator/Speaker, Best Practices in Handling Default and Termination for Established Franchisors, 47th Annual International Franchise Association Convention, February 2007.
- Moderator/Speaker, Franchise Agreement Drafting, International Franchise Association 38th Annual Legal Symposium, May 2005.
- Speaker, Understanding and Negotiating a Franchise Agreement, Joint Program, District of Columbia Bar, Maryland State Bar, Virginia State Bar, November 2003.